11.14.2010

The Jeweler and The Potter – Function and Design

We’ll be featuring a few shops a day. For a full list of our shops, watch the scrolling avatars at the top of the blog. For a full list of all our shops offering promotions during our Miracles of Hanukkah sale, go here!

Down to Earth Creations - http://www.etsy.com/shop/downtoearthcreations

The moniker for Down to Earth Creations’s shop reflects her attitude towards what she makes: functional art. Each of her pieces has an artistic idea that has been used in a functional piece, be it a pair of earrings or a Yad (pointer) to use in reading from the Torah.

She uses beads and charms from many different sources in most of her pieces, which range from funky to elegant. She also plays with the ideas of symbolic colors, such as in this choshen pendant, which is a replica of the breastplate the High Priest wore as described in the book of Exodus. The colors used in it are for each of the twelve tribes of Israel. You can read about it in the item’s description.

 

During the etsychai Miracles of Hanukkah sale, Down to Earth Creations is offering 10% off anything in her shop until December 1st. Just use the code word in the “Notes to Seller”: If you are coming from this blog, use the secret word "candles."   For Jewish Woman Magazine, use the secret word "JW Mag."

AgruArtshttp://www.etsy.com/shop/agru

So now we come to ….. me! My name is April Grunspan and I’m the owner and potter of AgruArts. Right now I’m exclusively a potter, working both on the wheel and handbuilding. I began my study of pottery using the wheel under the auspices of Shelly Green Stoler at the Genesee Co-op in Rochester, NY.

Today I mostly work in Judaica and with bird designs (I’m also a birdwatcher). I love taking ritual items and finding a way to give them a little tweak, putting my own interpretive take into their forms. A good example of this is my Representational Seder Set:

Rep Seder Set ALL 2Rep Seder Set Salt Water 2 

You can read about the thought process and what each piece is for here. I also have many other ritual items as well as Hebrew “moniker mugs” for your favorite person. And, if you don’t see what you want, contact me and I’ll see what I can do to fulfill your personal vision.

During the etsychai Miracles of Hanukkah sale, I am offering 18% off item in my shop. Just use the code word in the “Notes to Seller”: If you are coming from this blog, use the secret word "candles."   For Jewish Woman Magazine, use the secret word "JW Mag."

This blog post written by April Grunspan of AgruArts

No comments: